Listen to any of the talks on creative writing and this is one question that successful writers tell you to find an answer to, repeatedly.
So after a fair amount of introspecting, here is what I came up with.
- I write because I can.
- I write because I enjoy writing, I have done it ever since I can remember.
- I write because it’s the only way I know to get my chattering mind to shut up.
- I write because it lets me have a dialogue with all the multiple voices inside my head, and listen to all their perspectives. That’s a little difficult to do when all I am doing is listening.
- I write because it allows me to create something from my thoughts, it gives me a sense of accomplishment.
- I write to share, to reach out to others who also enjoy writing and reading.
- When I write, it is a call I send out to the universe – my silent SOS message – to reach out to others like me.
- I write when I feel sorry, when I feel something is not right with the world. I tend to write better when things are not as they should be. Unfortunately, that means I need to be sad or morose when I write.
- I write because I am upset with the world and have no other way of expressing my anger, my despair, my hurt.
- And at times, I write. Just like that.
Why do you write, what are your reasons? Do share.